Most light fixtures list the maximum wattage bulb somewhere on or near the socket of the fixture. A bulb of too high a wattage may overheat the socket or fixture wiring and result in damage to the light fixture, or possibly a fire hazard. You should never exceed the maximum specified bulb wattage for the fixture. Note: do not just assume the bulb you are removing from the fixture is the correct wattage. Most enclosed fixtures specify a maximum wattage of 60. If you cannot locate the specified bulb wattage, you may try contacting the manufacturer.